This black bean stew is simple to throw together and is very versatile. Eat it by itself, or on top of steamed greens, a baked potato, or your favorite whole grain.
Thick and Hearty Black Bean Stew
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 6 cups home-cooked black beans)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes* (or 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 1 juiced lime
- 0.5 cup cilantro, chopped
- 0.5 cup green onion, diced
- Mash one can (or 2 cups) beans. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the celery, onion, red pepper, jalapeño, and garlic until tender. (Do not sauté in oil - use 1 Tbsp water, and add more as needed)
- Add beans (including mashed), tomatoes, and spices. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Top with green onion when serving.