This heart-healthy, nutrient-dense meal is an amazing tastebud experience. Between the sweetness of the roasted beets, the crispness of the yellow pepper, and the peppery spice of arugula, you'll surely enjoy this simple and delicious meal.
If you're unable to get your hands on some of these ingredients due to the season, then feel free to substitute ingredients as you see fit.
Photo and recipe by: Jose Tejero from @reversingt2d.
Beets and Greens Bowl
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 Beets, large
- 1 Medium stalk of broccoli
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, large
- 1/2 cup Frozen sweet peas
- 2 cup "Mixed greens" lettuce
- 1/2 cup Grated carrots
- Broccoli sprouts
- 1 Lime
- Sriracha sauce
- Place the beets in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 400°C. Place the broccoli crowns, peas, and sliced bell pepper on a cooking sheet. Season and bake for 25 minutes
- Toast the quinoa seeds on a pan without oil on low heat and stir frequently for 5 minutes. Rinse and boil the quinoa. Bring water to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Simmer quinoa for 15 minutes. Then set aside and cover for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- In a large bowl, assemble a bed of “mixed greens” lettuce. Place the cooked and sliced beets on top and the quinoa to one side. Add the baked broccoli, peas, and bell peppers to the bowl. Sprinkle the grated carrots and sprouts on top. Squeeze the juice of one lime and mix. Top with Sriracha sauce if desired.