Bruschetta on freshly baked sweet potato toasts…does life get any better?
This might be the first recipe you’ve ever seen where instead of using bread to make bruschetta, we used potatoes!
Types of Potatoes
There are a number of varieties of potatoes offered at the grocery store. This recipe will work great with every single one of them!
We chose sweet potatoes because why not?! Russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, and even purple potatoes will go great with the tomato topping.
Seasoning is the Secret
There are essentially two steps to this recipe. Roasting the potato toasts and preparing the tomato topping.
It is very important that before you cook the potatoes, you season the potato slices. When testing this recipe, adding this step changed the flavor of the dish dramatically. We chose garlic powder to represent garlic toast.
What to Serve with Bruschetta
You may not have thought of this before, but lentils go greatwith bruschetta. You could add in lentils to the tomato mixture, or keep them on the side.
You could also serve this dish with a side salad or other cruciferous vegetables. Feel free to add balsamic vinegar or any other sauce you enjoy!
Photos by: @livemoreraw
Recipe by: Beverly Verwey
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
- 2 cup Sweet Potato
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 cup Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Red Onion
- 1/4 cup White Onion
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cilantro
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the sweet potato. No need to remove skin unless you wish to. Slice the potato lengthwise about ½-inch so you have bread-like slices.You should have 3 or 4 slices. Or you can slice them into ½ inch coins, whichever you prefer.
- Rub each slice with garlic powder and place the potato slices on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the potato is cooked but still firm.
- Meanwhile mix all the remaining bruschetta ingredients together and set aside to allow the flavors to mix.
- Once cooked remove the potatoes from the oven and place on a plate. Top with the tomato bruschetta and enjoy.
- Instead of sweet potato use russet potato, portobello mushroom.