Enjoy the aromas and flavors of Indian cuisine in this comforting, colorful dish, based on a traditional "Aloo Matar" recipe.
Photo by: Nina Gelbke of Naturally Nina.
Indian Curried Peas and Potatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 0.5 thumb ginger, minced
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp coriander
- 0.5 tsp curry powder
- 0.5 cup tomato sauce (no added salt)
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 bag (2 cups) frozen peas
- 1 container (8 oz) cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 0.5 cup cilantro, chopped
- Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and spices in a medium stockpot adding 1 Tbsp of water at a time to keep the ingredients from sticking to the pan. Cook 5 minutes or until onion becomes translucent and begins to caramelize.
- Add the tomato sauce and potatoes to the pot. Cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the peas, tomatoes, and cauliflower to the stockpot. Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Garnish with lemon juice and additional cilantro. Sit down to a bowl with friends and enjoy!