If you are new to "zoodles" (zucchini noodles), we are very excited for you! If you are familiar with zoodles, then you are probably already excited. This dish is made hearty and filling with red lentils and mushrooms in the marinara.
Zoodles with Red Lentil Marinara
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 cup red lentils (dry)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red onion, diced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced, optional
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, optional
- Cook lentils in 1 cup tomato sauce, 2 cups water. It should be around 15-20 minutes until they are soft.
- In a separate saucepan, saute garlic and onion (dry, or with a Tbsp of water) until translucent and aromatic.
- Add all other ingredients except black pepper, and cook until heated throughout – about 8 minutes.
- When lentils are done cooking, pour tomato, herb, and mushroom mixture into the pot to combine the two into a lentil marinara.
- Using a spiralizer or julienne peeler, make spaghetti noodles out of the zucchini.
- Spoon lentil marinara over top of the zoodles. Top with freshly ground black pepper (and a squeeze of lemon juice, if desired).