Lentil stew has the comfort of warm soup, made extra hearty and filling by the lentil base.
The fresh rosemary and thyme in this recipe make it especially aromatic. This is the perfect meal for a chilly evening at home or to serve for guests at a dinner party.
Photo by: Nina Gelbke of Naturally Nina.
Sweet Potatoes Loaded With Lentil Stew
- 3 Medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Green or brown lentils, dry
- 1 Red onion, diced
- 3 Celery stalks, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 4-6 Garlic cloves
- 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 0.25 cup Fresh thyme
- 0.25 cup Fresh rosemary
- 2-3 Swiss chard, chopped
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Poke sweet potatoes and bake for 1 hour or until soft.
- In a pot, combine lentils, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil then simmer for approx. 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and spices, and simmer another 7-10 minutes.
- Check to be sure that lentils are soft. Remove from heat. Stir in swiss chard and lemon juice.
- Slice open sweet potato and spoon lentil stew into crevice.