Farro is a specific variety of wheat that imparts a chewy texture like barley, but with a flavor similar to brown rice.
This savory, mineral-rich entree is delicious topped with steamed zucchini, broccoli, and crunchy salad greens.
Recipe and photo by: Catherine Perez, MS, RD, LDN (@plantbasedrd).
Smoky Fennel Farro
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp salsa
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil.
- Allow to cook on a boil for according to package instructions (usually 5 - 30 minutes, depending on how thick the particular farro grains are).
- Give a stir to make sure everything is well combined and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Notes: Enjoy this entree with legumes, steamed veggies, or salad. Look for 10-minute farro from grocery stores like Trader Joe's to reduce the total cooking time.