Did you know that oatmeal is just as delicious (if not even more) when eaten savory style?! Give this recipe a try for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner, and try other fun related recipes like Pumpkin Spice Oats!
Savory Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe
Did you know that oatmeal is just as delicious (if not even more) when eaten savory style?! Give this recipe a try for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 0.5 cup shredded zucchini
- 0.5 cup red onion, diced
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 chopped spinach, swiss chard, or kale
- Place 1 cup steel cut oats + 3.5 cups water into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- After the oats have simmered for about 15 minutes, add all the remaining ingredients with the exception of the chopped greens. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped greens, and remove saucepan from heat.
- Optional - Top with any of the following: low-sodium salsa, freshly ground black pepper, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Serving: 1.5gCalories: 241.7kcalCarbohydrates: 46.9gProtein: 9.4gFat: 3.8gFiber: 7.8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!