Did you know that oatmeal is just as delicious (if not even more) when eaten savory style?! Give this recipe a try for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner.
Savory Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 0.5 cup shredded zucchini
- 0.5 cup red onion, diced
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 chopped spinach, swiss chard, or kale
- Place 1 cup steel cut oats + 3.5 cups water into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- After the oats have simmered for about 15 minutes, add all the remaining ingredients with the exception of the chopped greens. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped greens, and remove saucepan from heat.
- Optional - Top with any of the following: low-sodium salsa, freshly ground black pepper, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.