This easy to make one-pot soup is one of our favorites to prepare at any time of the year. The creaminess of the potato paired with the brightness of the citrus makes for a deliciously refreshing soup and can be served hot or cold.
This soup is so good, you’ll want to make it twice in one week! A simple combination of ingredients creates a delicious hearty flavor that is sure to satisfy your taste buds, while also reversing insulin resistance This recipe features ginger, lime, onion, and chives!
When we first made this recipe, all the bright colors caught our attention. We found that adding fresh herbs, like ginger and chives makes a major difference when cooking soups because it brings the flavor to the next level.
In general, adding herbs and spices to vegetable-heavy meals makes them taste fantastic, and they also significantly increase the nutritional value of the meal. Micronutrients matter!
This soup is great for date nights at home, holiday gatherings, or for potlucks.
We wrote the recipe to be enough for 2 servings, but you can easily double or triple the recipe if you have a large enough pot and an immersion blender. This soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
This recipe can also be made in an Instant Pot or any pressure cooker. To use this method, pour a small amount of vegetable broth into the pot. Saute the onion and the garlic in the pot before adding all ingredients except the coconut milk, lime juice, and lime zest.
Cook the soup on high pressure for 10 minutes, and release the pressure when it’s done.
Once the soup is done cooking, use an immersion blender to blend the soup, or wait for the soup to cool slightly, and then pour into a high powered blender to blend until smooth.
When done cooking your soup, don’t forget to stir in the lime juice, lime zest, and lite coconut milk. These ingredients add creaminess and acidity, bringing the soup to life!
It’s important to wait until after the soup is done cooking to perform this step. Top each bowl with a sprinkle of chives before serving and your bowl of soup will be picture perfect!
Photos by: Allie @threelittlechickpeasblog
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 1/2 cup Yellow Onion
- 3 cup Fresh Carrot
- 3 cup Golden Potatoes
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 4 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Lite Coconut Milk
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Shredded Lime Zest
- 4 tsp Fresh Chives
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- While the pot warms up, roughly chop the onion, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and ginger.
- Put a small amount of vegetable broth into the instant pot and then add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until the onions become translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth, carrots, and potatoes into the pot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cover.
- Cook the soup for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add in coconut milk, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Blend the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Garnish with chives and enjoy!
- If you don’t have chives, you can use any fresh green garnish such as parsley or cilantro.
- If you would like to make this soup in your instant pot, follow the same instructions, but cook the soup on high pressure for 8 minutes and depressurize when cooking is complete.